As always in January, I start the year by giving you my 10 favourite reads of the year just gone. These are the books I most enjoyed in 2022 (in alphabetical order, according to author):
- Pat Barker, The Silence of the Girls – fabulous to read ancient history from the point of view of the women.
- Peter Fiennes, Footnotes: A Journey Round Britain in the Company of Great Writers – literary travels in England when I still couldn’t get there myself.
- Bonnie Garmas, Lessons in Chemistry – I absolutely loved this book and want to read it again soon!
- Janice Hadlow, The Strangest Family: The Private Lives of George III, Queen Charlotte and the Hanoverians – a truly fascinating history.
- Richard Holmes, The Long Pursuit – Holmes is one of my favourite writers ever!
- Nick Louth’s Body series of crime novels, which starts with The Body in the Marsh – good atmospheric mysteries.
- Clare Pollard’s Fierce Bad Rabbits: The Tales Behind Children’s Picture Books – I adored every page of this fabulous book, its anecdotes, its analysis of what we are teaching our children, and its sheer love of children’s classics.
- Craig Silvey, Runt – this is a book for children and adults. Heart-warming, funny and absolutely delightful!
- Laura Thompson, Take Six Girls: The Lives of the Mitford Sisters – I can’t get enough of those amazing sisters!
- Niall Williams, This is Happiness – a beautifully written Irish novel.
I’ve also enjoyed murder mysteries by S.J. Parris, Neil Lancaster and Richard Osman. I loved most of Sarah Winman’s Still Life, but felt the ending let it down badly and found it unconvincing that in post-war Catholic Italy, so many people would be so tolerant towards so many gay characters!
Did you have a favourite book from last year? I’d love to hear what you most enjoyed. Do you share my passion for good audio books? Listening to books hugely increases your reading total each year. Tell me by leaving a comment.
Susannah Fullerton: My 2021 Favourites
Susannah Fullerton: My 2020 Favourites
Susannah Fullerton: My 2019 Favourites
Susannah Fullerton: My 2018 Favourites
Susannah Fullerton: My 2017 Favourites
Susannah Fullerton: My 2016 Favourites
The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker
Footnotes: A Journey Round Britain in the Company of Great Writers by Peter Fiennes
Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmas
The Strangest Family: The Private Lives of George III, Queen Charlotte and the Hanoverians by Janice Hadlow
This Long Pursuit by Richard Holmes
The Body in the Marsh by Nick Louth
Fierce Bad Rabbits: The Tales Behind Children’s Picture Books by Clare Pollard
Runt by Craig Silvey
Take Six Girls: The Lives of the Mitford Sisters by Laura Thompson
This is Happiness by Niall Williams
Still Life by Sarah Winman
Susannah Fullerton: O, to be in England, now that April’s there …
Susannah Fullerton: Lessons in Chemistry
Susannah Fullerton: Quality, quirkiness and reading satisfaction
Susannah Fullerton: Crime novels and travel